American Express Misleading Billing Practices
I am planning on canceling my American Express Gold Card for which I pay $125/year because of their misleading practices which they do not admit to.My January 2011 statement and all previous statements had a "Payment Due Date" on them, which indicated the date that was 25 days (grace period) from the close of the billing cycle.
However, now American Express uses new language on their statements which say "Please Pay by" and the "Please pay by" date is 14 days from the end of the billing cycle (even though the grace period is now 30 days). They have changed the language because it encourages customers to pay sooner (so Amex gets paid faster and makes more money). The language intentionally misleads the customer to think the payment is due on the "Please pay by" date when it really is not. Obviously when you call them, they tell you that it is not officially due until 30 days after the billing cycle, but it doesn't say this anywhere on the statement or the webpage.
Also, Amex won't admit their reasons for changing the language but it is very clear why they did this – to unfluence customers to pay sooner even though they don't have to. Additionally on the American Express website, you can't schedule a payment for the future past the "Please pay by" date, even though the payment isn't actually due until 16 days later.
As a long time customer, I am extremely disappointed that American Express is engaging in this misleading behavior and I plan to cancel my card very soon.I just want everyone know about these misleading practices so they aren't confused like I was.
More Review Details
You May Also Like
- "if there is no safe , anymore how can we expect a refund? no one to even talk to NOONE. Like they never existed..... I have over 950$ in..."
- "Rushcard has BY FAR THEE WORST Customer Service I have EVER experienced bin my ENTIRE life!!! In the past 48 hours, I have had to call 22 times!!! I have..."
- "Basically, I'm now a single mom, divorcing, last hearing July 15 and 17th, it has been *** as divorces are known to be, I have two big cc, discover and..."
- "I was a model for Colby Models and Ryan Colby for 3 years. I never met anyone who made more than $100.00 total after being with them for 3 years...."
- "It's now mid June 2015. As a current employee they have changed the selling game to benefit most of the DMs and the corporate owners. Understand that this is a..."
- "Was looking to upgrade my old phone and cell provider was having a sale.So I thought I would give LG a try. Nice looking phone. Specs seemed ok for what..."
- "First off i ordered my pizza over an 2 hours after the first hour when i called to fond out what was going on i was told my pizzas were..."
- "I met this one on backpage. Goes by the name "Carmen"....she said that she had condoms during our conversation. When I got there, she said she needed..."
- "This is a complaint against Community Medical Center in Toms River, NJ. Where on the evening of November 24th I was surrounded and questioned by hospital security personnel for taking..."