American Express Misleading Billing Practices
I am planning on canceling my American Express Gold Card for which I pay $125/year because of their misleading practices which they do not admit to.My January 2011 statement and all previous statements had a "Payment Due Date" on them, which indicated the date that was 25 days (grace period) from the close of the billing cycle.
However, now American Express uses new language on their statements which say "Please Pay by" and the "Please pay by" date is 14 days from the end of the billing cycle (even though the grace period is now 30 days). They have changed the language because it encourages customers to pay sooner (so Amex gets paid faster and makes more money). The language intentionally misleads the customer to think the payment is due on the "Please pay by" date when it really is not. Obviously when you call them, they tell you that it is not officially due until 30 days after the billing cycle, but it doesn't say this anywhere on the statement or the webpage.
Also, Amex won't admit their reasons for changing the language but it is very clear why they did this – to unfluence customers to pay sooner even though they don't have to. Additionally on the American Express website, you can't schedule a payment for the future past the "Please pay by" date, even though the payment isn't actually due until 16 days later.
As a long time customer, I am extremely disappointed that American Express is engaging in this misleading behavior and I plan to cancel my card very soon.I just want everyone know about these misleading practices so they aren't confused like I was.128af279 review #224288
You may also like
- "Please read this completely if you care about “the little guy” in corporate America. Avoid EMS at all cost! Their contracts are written to benefit only them. They do not..."
- "This is what is happening in America today. "Corporate America" has taken over. The state and federal agencies have helped them do this. You will see from the two documents..."
- "I believe the reason that pay pal, EBAY & GE Capital now Synchrony Bank do this is that they want to really frustrate the customer stone wall them make up..."
- "On the advice of my podiatrist, I purchased a pair of Masai Barefoot Technology (MBT) rocker sneakers for $260.00. They began to come apart in various places after six months..."
- "I purchased a license of mSPY for iOS which supposedly allows you to monitor an iOS device with only iCloud credentials (no jailbreak). I already had my son's iCloud credentials..."
- "Eastchester Chriysler Jeep Dodge dealer on 4007 on Boston Road, lied to me big time, I told them the truth about everything that I got pre-approved for 30k through capital..."
- "This place is just awful. My shower has had a huge hole made by the maintenance and has not been fix within three months. All they did was tape a..."
- "Waste of time and money DO NOT GO TO FARMINGTON CONNECTICUT HAIR CLUB THEY LIE LIE LIE AND ALL IT IS IS WIGS AND THE HAIR QUALITY IS NOT GOOD..."
- "I ordered flower girl dresses for my upcoming wedding and chose a color from a color chart the supplier "Simple Love 's Store (Bi Xiao Ke)" provided me. I selected..."