4 E Station Square Dr, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
3.3

I am a Senior Citizen, a US Veteran, and a AMEX Gold Card holder since 1968 who always paid bills on time throughout. Being on a fixed income, I find myself unable to afford the annual $195 fee assessed by AMEX.

When I called customer service to determine if anything could be done based on my length of service and purchases throughout my tenure, I was unceremoniously turned down by a customer service representative as well as a Supervisor, with their explanation of "we can not do that" even though they had agreed to credit/reverse this fee for the past few years. In fact, the supervisor "suggested" that I take my 17,000 hard earned points and convert them as a partial payment towards the fee. Another suggestion was to open a brand new account utilizing a new card and account number without a fee, but if I decided to do that I would be unable to use or transfer the 17,000 points to the other new account. Being a sales and marketing executive for over 40 years, I am disappointed in the organization I have utilize d for all of my business since 1968.

Being turned away unceremoniously by AMEX was the last event I had ever expected. Phil Katz

Product or Service Mentioned: American Express Gold Credit Card.

Preferred solution: Reverse The Annual Membership Fee.

American Express Cons: Customer loyalty factor shown.

Comments

I know this an older post. Why don't you just redeem the points then downgrade the card to a no fee card?

You will change account numbers but at least you can use your points and keep your tenure. Problem solved.

American Express Reviews