To my complete surprise, since I have always had perfect credit, collection companies that Amex sold bad debt off to, have been calling me to collect for a company that I work for.

Amex, when confronted, said that since the business allegedly gave them my name as a secondary card holder, even without my permission or knowledge of the card, my social security number and other personal information was sold to the collection company to try and collect as “part of the file”. Amex said they can not help me any longer because it has been sold to another company… therefore I must take it up with them.

Now some greedy, unethically, rude employee of a collection company who is not regulated any way has my personal information and social security number that he proudly repeats during our combative conversations.

I believe American Express has the responsibility to protect its card holders personal information and should be liable for selling personal information that they conveniently obtained by matching my employment information from my personal Blue and Platinum card relationships with American Express.

Since I have nothing better to do these days, I am going to stop using Amex cards, write complaints, keep their phone lines busy, immoral their employee one by one with this complaint and take legal action until I am sure American Express’ practices change.

Had an Experience with American Express?

Comments

American Express will not protect you from unauthorized internet charges.A long-cancelled service provider on the internet used my long-expired credit card to bill my American Express.

Even though they did not have my new expiry date, American Express Canada decided to honour their request for hundreds of dollars against my account. In addition, the lady in their credit department who is supposed to go after proof that the charge was valid, would not even do this . . .

. AND WAS ABUSIVE TO ME!!!! Do not use AMEX on the internet or anywhere where they can retain your card number .

Much of any collection activity is bluff particularity by a 3rd party.There is a law, called Fair Credit Reporting Act, from 1971.

Contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), Their web site has a link for consumer complaints. Give them as much info as you know about the collector. Unless you signed the credit card agreement or purchased the item in question, you should not be liable.

Even if you did, there are protections from being an employee of a corporation.If you are a corporate officer and guaranteed credit for the corporation there maybe some liability, but the FTC will make them show the proof.